Sunday, September 25, 2011

Lake Clark Wilderness Area

Although the Lake Clark Wilderness area is only an hour from Anchorage it is one of the least visited areas in Alaska. This breathtaking wilderness area offers ample opportunity for solitude and exploration of uncharted terrain. This summer Luna, Dad and I took 9 days to explore this exquisite land. From Anchorage we took a small plane to Lake Clark. From Lake Clark we took a float plane, which are now my favorite planes, to Turquoise Lake. This is where our adventure began.

We spent our first few days exploring this remote area of the world. We hiked to a few glaciers and relaxed by the strikingly beautiful, deep turquoise colored lake. After a few days we hiked to the other side of the lake. Since we were in such a remote, uncharted area, I decided to skinny dipping in the lake. I quickly discovered that I did not have as much solitude as I thought. As I was drying off, enjoying my alone time and taking in the beauty around me, I heard a plane. I looked up and saw a float plane coming over the mountains. As I was franticly trying to put my clothes back on it landed on the lake right in front of me. I suppose the lesson here is that even in remote areas of the world you can always find other people.







After a few days of exploring Turquoise Lake we started our trek down to Twin Lakes. We were in a secluded area with uncharted terrain, so obviously there was no trail down to Twin Lakes. We didn't know what was in store for us, but we started heading south. The trek wasn't too strenuous, but it was a little cold. One morning we awake to a little flurry of snow. The only wildlife we saw along the way was a large herd of sheep. We reached Twin Lakes and found a pleasant place, on a hill overlooking the lake, to set up camp. This camp spot was one of my favorites. Every evening a brightly colored rainbow would stretch across the mountains and land in the turquoise lake. We took a few days to explore this area before heading to the other end of the lake where we were to be picked up. This was a nice relaxing backpacking trip, which was a nice change from the very strenuous backpacking trips we usually take. If you are looking for a stunningly beautiful, isolated place to get away I would highly recommend the Lake Clark Wilderness Area.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers